Friday, November 22, 2013

Five Steps to Get You Through NaNoWriMo During Thanksgiving

I know a lot of you are SO CLOSE to finishing your NaNoWriMo project, so I'm here to help you get through Thanksgiving while finishing NaNo.

Step 1: Wake up early, hideaway on your lunch breaks, and squeeze as much writing time in as you can these next few days. Bringing your journal to work, and scribbling down all the words you can, will definitely increase your word count as you work on it later that night.

I find that most of the words I write in my journal, even though it's a whole scene or more, I end up rewriting when I get to a computer. The amount of words I get from it, though, can be pretty awesome.

Step 2: Writing sprints like crazy.

We've already mentioned this, and pretty much every NaNo support site has, but it's seriously the biggest way to get things done quick. Even if no one's around on Twitter to participate, timing yourself and getting the sprints in will easily catch up on NaNo before Thanksgiving.

Step 3: Find your writerly-safe place.

If you follow me on Twitter than you know about my trip to Panera for the first time. This works, you guys! I always wondered why people went to coffee shops and such, but it's crazy how much work you can get done.

Getting yourself away from family, friends, and, more importantly, the TV will get you focused on writing in no time. I was still tweeting and whatnot, of course, but I got through nearly 200 pages of revisions just from sitting in Panera and focusing. Taking a little time away from everything will get you situated and ready to tackle ALL THE NANO.

Step 4: This step needs one word and one word only. Caffeine.

I can't even tell you how much work I get done while hopped up on caffeine. Coffee, tea, soda, younameit. This is going to be your best friend. Order that extra large beverage at Starbucks or Panera and get to gulping that ish down, because you're gonna need it. And if you don't drink caffeine . . .

May the odds be ever in your favor.

Nah, I'm just kidding. I just really wanted to say that. (OMG CATCHING FIRE RELEASES THIS WEEKEND. AAAAAAGH) Okay I'm back.

And the most important step is this:

Step 5: It's okay to sit back, relax, and not write on Thanksgiving. You've worked hard. Give yourself a little break and enjoy ALL THE FOOD.


The Secret Life wishes you all a HAPPY THANKSGIVING and a Happy Farewell to another NaNoWriMo.

We'll see you back in December! xo

Heather Marie is a YA writer who loves all things creepy. She enjoys writing horror/supernatural stories that make you question that feeling of someone watching over your shoulder. Heather spends most of her days reading and writing and plotting her next idea. When she's not in her writing cave, she enjoys watching creepy TV shows with her husband and picking apart plot holes in movies.

You can find her on Twitter @: http://twitter.com/xheatherxmariex
And visit her website @: http://heatherxmarie.blogspot.com/



0 secret replies:

Post a Comment